Helen & Richard Brown

The Browns on Vimeo

Farewell to Brown Institute

Photo Gallery

Minnesota Broadcasting Hall of Fame

Richard & Helen Brown

Inducted 2004

In 1946, Richard and Helen Brown became pioneers in vocational education. They established the American Institute of the Air to train students for a career in broadcasting. The school’s name changed to Brown Institute in 1954, when courses in electronics, computer programming, and television production were added.

The Browns maintained a genuine concern for the academic success of each student. Richard and Helen personally helped students find jobs and places to live. They left a legacy of excellence and professionalism in broadcasting. The successful broadcasting careers of thousands of former students originated at Brown. Some of them are now members of the Museum of Broadcasting Hall of Fame.

Richard and Helen Brown retired in 1978. The school was renamed Brown College in 2001. Their legacy continues to have a strong influence in media and broadcasting.